How to get here
The Kuranda Scenic Railway services connect Kuranda to Cairns on a 1 hour and 45 minutes ride. Enjoy the 34 kilometres relaxing winding journey through the rainforest-clad Kuranda Range while viewing the panorama of the World Heritage listed tropical forest and picturesque waterfalls within the Barron Gorge National Park. You can join the daily scenic train ride to Kuranda either from Cairns Station or Freshwater Station daily.
- Departing from Cairns Station at 8.30 am, arriving in Kuranda at approx. 10:15 am
- Departing from Cairns Station at 9.30 am, arriving in Kuranda at approx. 11:15 am
- Departing from Freshwater Station at 8.50 am, arriving in Kuranda at approx. 10:15 am
- Departing from Freshwater Station at 9.50 am, arriving in Kuranda at approx. 11:15 am
- Departing from Kuranda at 2:00 pm, arriving in Freshwater at approx. 3:25 pm
- Departing from Kuranda at 3:30 pm, arriving in Cairns at approx. 3:45 pm
By cable car
SkyRail operates a cable car service connecting Kuranda to Smithfield.
Spanning 7.5km, Skyrail Rainforest Cableway traverses the McAlister Range, through the Barron Gorge National Park, taking guests on an amazing journey between its Caravonica and Kuranda Terminals.
Skyrail Rainforest Cableway is open every day except Christmas Day and during programmed maintenance, from 9.00am to 5.15pm. Bookings are highly recommended. For more information phone (07) 4038 1555 or visit www.skyrail.com.au.
private or rental car Use your own or a rental car.
Directions from Cairns are :
- Head north-west on Sheridan St/National Route 1 toward Smithfield
- At the Smithfield roundabout, take the left exit onto Captain Cook Hwy
- At the Kuranda traffic lights, turn left onto Rob Veivers Drive
- At the next roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Therwine St.
- The Kuranda Village Centre will be on the left